IrrigationBox supplies technically advanced irrigation equipment for residential fire fighting solutions.
If there is a bush fire in your area, range of DuCaR Sprinklers will be great help to protect your property.
Before you choose the most suitable sprinkler head for your property, there is some significant criteria that your effective sprinkler system should meet.
- Firstly, you should use independent water supply such as swimming pool, a rainwater tank, a detention tank or dam and should be at least 20,000 litres.
- A petrol (or diesel) powered pump would be the most suitable pump type as power is likely to be lost during bushfires. Only use an electric pump if you have a backup power supply such as a generator.
Locate your pump as close as possible to the water supply.
- Turbine drive, metal impact and butterfly sprinklers should be used for this type of system.
- For the best coverage and reducing wind effect, each sprinkler head's spray should overlap the next adjoining sprinkler's spray.
- When you use a DuCaR metal impact sprinkler, minimum shooting range (radius) will be 15-16m and it consumes 50 litres of water per minute. Therefore, the spacing between the sprinklers should be maximum 10m for that shoting range. They can also be placed in the garden / lawn on the side or front of the house whichever is likely to be impacted by bush fires.
- The pipe from the pump to the house should be 375mm below ground level and 50mm diameter poly pipe is recommended (1½” Rural-B or 50mm PN12 Blueline). Use compression fittings for pipe and pump connections. All our metal impact spriklers have 1½” BSP threaded inlet.
- Consider fitting ball valves in main pipe and takeoffs in order to redirect the water flow where it is needed at any one time. Using ball valves can also give you points at which you can connect a hose or hose reel to fight spot fires.
- Before the bush fire season starts test the pump and sprinklers and thereafter start the pump for 1 minute each week during the season and once or twice in the non-fire season. Especially for your pump, regular maintenance is highly important. Please follow your pump's technical guide for a good care.
If you need help to choose the most suitable fire fighting sprinkler for your system, please contact us.